What are transparent OLED screens?
OLED stands for organic light-emitting diode, a type of display technology that uses organic materials to emit light when an electric current passes through them. Unlike conventional LCD screens, OLED screens do not require a backlight, back-box or a filter layer to produce images, which makes them thinner, lighter and more energy-efficient.
Transparent OLED (T-OLED) screens are a special kind of OLED screen that can turn transmissive materials opaque without the requirement for power. This means that they can display images and videos while maintaining a high level of transparency, allowing the viewers to see through them even when they are switched off. Transparent OLED screens work by shining light through an array of organic light-emitting diodes (LEDs) that can switch between transparent and opaque states. When the LEDs are on, they emit light and create images on the screen. When the LEDs are off, they let the light pass through and become invisible. White pixels become opaque and black pixels become transparent.
Interactive Transparent OLED
Benefits of transparent OLED screens
Transparent OLED screens offer many advantages over traditional display technologies, such as:
- High contrast and vivid colours: Transparent OLED screens can produce rich and vibrant colours with a wide colour gamut and a high contrast ratio, making the images more realistic and eye-catching. Because OLED screens do not require a backlight or a filter layer, they can display true blacks and pure whites, creating a stunning visual effect. Transparent OLED screens can also adjust their brightness and colour temperature according to the ambient light conditions, enhancing the viewing experience.
- Wide viewing angle: Transparent OLED screens have a wide viewing angle of up to 178 degrees, which means that the images can be seen clearly from any direction without distortion or colour shift. This is especially useful for applications that require multiple viewers or different viewing positions, such as public displays or interactive kiosks. Transparent OLED screens can also provide a 3D-like effect without the need for glasses or special equipment, as the images appear to float in mid-air.
- Flexibility and design freedom: Transparent OLED screens can be curved, bent or shaped into various forms, allowing for more creative and innovative applications in different environments. For example, transparent OLED screens can be used to create curved displays that wrap around objects or walls, creating a seamless and immersive visual experience. Transparent OLED screens can also be cut into custom sizes and shapes to fit specific needs or preferences.
- Interactivity and engagement: Transparent OLED screens can be combined with touch sensors or gesture recognition systems to create interactive and immersive experiences for the viewers, such as transparent touch screens or smart mirrors. For example, transparent touch screens can enable users to control the content displayed on the screen with their fingers or gestures, creating a natural and intuitive interface. Smart mirrors can display personalized information or entertainment content while reflecting the user’s image, creating a novel and convenient way of interaction. Transparent OLED screens can be converted into interactive touch screens with Pro Display’s infrared or PCAP interactive touch overlays.
- Space-saving and aesthetic: Transparent OLED screens can be integrated into windows, glass walls or showcases, creating a seamless and elegant look while saving space and reducing clutter. For example, transparent OLED screens can be used to display information or advertisements on windows or glass walls without blocking the view or natural light. Transparent OLED screens can also be used to showcase products or exhibits behind the screen without obscuring them or compromising their visibility.
- Low power consumption: Transparent OLED screens consume less power than conventional LCD screens because they do not require a backlight or a filter layer. This makes them more energy-efficient and eco-friendly. Transparent OLED screens are also suitable for devices that require low power consumption such as mobile phones, portable gaming consoles, media players and digital cameras.
- Remarkable color fidelity: Transparent OLED screens provide remarkable colour fidelity because they use wide energy gap semiconductors that exhibit singlet and triplet exciton radiation phenomenon. This means that they can emit light in all colours of the visible spectrum without using color filters. Transparent OLED screens also have a high colour purity and saturation because they do not suffer from color mixing or bleeding issues that affect LCD screens.
- High efficiency and operational stability: Transparent OLED screens have high efficiency because they convert most of the electrical energy into light energy without wasting much heat. This also improves their operational stability and lifespan. Transparent OLED screens are also resistant to temperature changes and humidity because they do not use liquid crystals that are sensitive to environmental factors.
- Thinness and lightness: Transparent OLED screens are very thin and small in size because they do not require bulky components such as backlights, filters or polarizers. This makes them light in weight and easy to carry or install. Transparent OLED screens are also flexible and durable because they use plastic substrates instead of glass substrates that are rigid and fragile.
Applications of transparent OLED screens
Transparent OLED screens can be used for various purposes in different sectors, such as:
- Retail and advertising: Transparent OLED screens can be installed in shop windows, display cases or shelves to showcase products, promotions or information in an attractive and dynamic way, while allowing the customers to see the actual products behind the screen. For example, LG has partnered with BAE Systems to create a “factory of the future” that uses Pro Display’s transparent OLED screens to display information about the manufacturing process while showing the products being made. This creates a transparent communication channel between the manufacturer and the customer, enhancing trust and satisfaction.
- Entertainment and art: Transparent OLED screens can be used to create stunning visual effects and artistic installations that blend digital content with physical objects or environments, creating a sense of wonder and magic for the viewers.
- Education and information: Transparent OLED screens can be used to display educational or informative content in museums, exhibitions or public spaces, enhancing the learning experience and providing additional information while preserving the visibility of the exhibits or surroundings.
- Smartphones and mobile devices: Transparent OLED screens can be used in smartphones and other mobile devices to create innovative features and designs, such as optical fingerprint scanners, foldable screens or transparent cameras.
- Automotive and transportation: Transparent OLED screens can be used in cars, trains and other vehicles to display information or entertainment content on windshields, windows or dashboards, enhancing safety and convenience for drivers and passengers.
- Healthcare and medical: Transparent OLED screens can be used in healthcare and medical settings to display vital signs, diagnosis results or treatment plans on transparent monitors or glasses, improving communication and collaboration between doctors and patients.
- Gaming and entertainment: Transparent OLED screens can be used in gaming and entertainment devices to create immersive and interactive experiences for gamers and viewers, such as virtual reality (VR) headsets, augmented reality (AR) glasses or holographic displays.
Read our Transparent OLED Display product page for more details.
Book an appointment to visit our showroom in Wakefield, UK and see our transparent OLED screen for yourself.